European agriculture is facing a significant transformation. Reduction of CO2 emissions, preservation of biodiversity, and the careful use of soil, air and water are just some of the demands being made by politicians, nature conservation associations and citizens’ initiatives. At the same time, farmers should be able to be competitive in the market, produce high-quality food and, at the same time, perform important social functions such as inclusion and building local networks. However, according to the European Parliament, only 8.5% of farmers have the necessary skills and qualifications to do so. Also, the current generation of European farmers is severely over-aged, with only 11% being younger than 40 and one-third are over 65.
Within the ProGREEN project we want to develop and transfer a dual vocational training program matching the latest standards in agriculture to ensure that the next generation of farmers is trained in the best way possible to tackle future challenges. This will be accompanied by a training program for trainers at the companies.
To improve farmers skills additionally 2 further training programs will be developed, implemented and evaluated.
- The first training program will include the latest knowledge in the area modern ecological agriculture.
- The second training program will focus on the entrepreneurial side of ecological agriculture.
- Lead Partner: Hanse-Parlament – Hamburg, Germany
- Landwirtschaftskammer Hamburg – Hamburg, Germany
- VsI Alantos technologijos ir verslo mokykla – Moletai, Lithuania
- ITA Emilio Sereni – Rome, Italy
- Hämeen ammattikorkeakoulu – Hämeenlinna, Finland
- Høgskulen for grøn utvikling SA – Bryne, Norway